Whether you’re a hockey player, a golfer, a superstar midfielder, or a track-and-field champion, you could be at risk of a hamstring strain.
The hamstring is the collective name for the group of muscles at the back of the thigh. Chiropractors — many of whom specialize in sports medicine — help in healing hamstring injuries.
Some types of sports leave athletes more susceptible to hamstring injuries than others. For example, a runner is more prone to hamstring injuries than a swimmer because of the range of motion involved.
If you are experiencing pain in your hamstrings, chiropractic treatment can help to alleviate your pain and prevent future injuries.
The most common sports for hamstring injuries
- Soccer — The most frequent injury among soccer players is the hamstring strain because of the sport’s mix of fast bursts of running, kicking, and slides. Heavy reliance on a muscle group often causes it to be more prone to injury, and a hamstring pull can take you out of the game faster than a red card.
- Football — Like soccer, football players demand a lot from their hamstrings. Depending on the position played, a footballer might need to move fast and kick with significant force. They could also experience trauma during a tackle.
- Running — For a sprinter, a popping feeling when coming out of the blocks can be a sign of a hamstring injury. Long-distance runners often experience hamstring injuries caused by muscle fatigue. A lack of flexibility in a runner’s legs can also lead to a muscle imbalance, one of the most common causes of a hamstring injury.
- Cycling — If you cycle using poor form while riding clipped in, you’ll be relying on your quadriceps too much and may end up creating a muscular imbalance. Cyclists, like runners, also tend to suffer from inflexibility in their leg muscles.
- Baseball — The sheer speed of a baseball player rounding third and sliding into home base can easily lead to a pulled hamstring. The twisting motion while batting can also overextend the muscles in the backs of your legs.
Get back in the game
If you’re an athlete experiencing pain in the backs of your thighs, there are several chiropractors who specialize in healing hamstring injuries in Garden City, MI.
A chiropractor can treat your injury and help correct any imbalance that may have contributed to it. They will also provide you with a hamstring-strengthening exercise regime to help prevent further injuries.